On Startups

Back in 2008 I was carrying out a conversation with a colleague here at STS. We were talking about how Google was reshaping our understanding of the operating system and computers.

Back then I told him, "One day you'll be playing 3D games such as Half Life and Max Payne directly on your Chrome browser. You'll have all your documents on the cloud and you won't need a hard drive as much as you do now".

Then at some point I started pointing out the fact that start-ups will pick up quickly in the economy of the years to come, they will flourish and the IT world will have some sort of Renaissance.

Start-ups are nimble, fast and smart, they tend to have low budgets and might potentially generate great returns. They tend to have the awesome advantage of 'Why Not' as opposed to behemoth corporates with chains of command and strategic priorities.

I was extremely happy when I saw this prophecy become a reality, all that we discussed back then. And to be honest I guess this movement if I may call it, will sustain for some more years to come.

The rules of natural selection and evolution do apply in the IT world, some start-ups become stronger and end up being recognizable powers such as Facebook. While others will fail and fade away into oblivion. What's even more interesting and amazing is that what once were start-ups might end up giving life to other start-ups to flourish on top of their platform.

I'll leave you now to indulge on those thoughts, as I move on through another day at the office.

Blog to ya' later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tech Tips Digest: 2