On StackOverFlow

So, this is kind of late, but I've been seeing all sorts of results when Googling problems I face during my daily job coming from www.stackoverflow.com. I couldn't help but notice the quality of the replies and helpful hints I saw there.

It wasn't until recently (well to be exact 34 days ago) that I had finally decided I should register and check it out. It turned out to be amazing and really engaging. I immediately started looking for interesting problems to solve and found out that I had so much to give to the community. I got hooked on trying to figure out how my contributions would be beneficial to others while gaining more badges and reputation along the way.

The site has all the tools for the community to really make a difference along with a clean code of ethics. This in my opinion increase the credibility of the site. Bad questions, comments and answers are scrutinized, down voted and even closed or removed, while good ones get to get more up votes. Well there is one problem, as with all community based websites, some members of the community don't really follow all the guidelines, but at least there are means for moderation and correction.

One other good thing about the Stack OverFlow is that it has this tagging feature for questions, and those tags are not just dumb markers to tag content, they are also wiki pages for the tagged technology, along with synonymous tags that mean the same thing. This makes it a good place to get a quick introduction about the tech you are dealing with or perhaps the one you are about to engage in.

And the best of all, you get to gain virtual reputation and would eventually translate to real life recognition among your peers for being really active, helpful and all that. I must say, I'm hooked and I ended up checking for questions asked by others as much as I can.

It is also worth mentioning that Stack OverFlow is part of a the StackExchange Network created by Jeff Atwood (blog Coding Horror) and Joel Spolsky (blog Joel on Software). It is a group of free Q&A websites dealing with many different topics covering Programming, Photography and so on. I really do recommend you check those other sites out as well.

So finally, this is a call out to all my fellow engineers out there, join now and start giving back! Let's make life easier for others and learn in the process!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tech Tips Digest: 2